Access the Resources You Need to Succeed

We make sure all students have access to the help they need to get the best education they can. For some, that support comes from Student Accessibility Services.

Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990 define disability as "a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more of the major life activities." Major life activities include, but are not limited to, caring for oneself, performing manual tasks, walking, seeing, hearing, speaking, breathing, learning, working, sitting, standing, lifting, reaching, and sleeping. This definition of disability includes mental/emotional processes such as thinking, concentrating, and interacting with others. The ADA protects individuals from discrimination if they have a record of such impairments or are regarded as having such impairments.

How Should I Register with Student Accessibility Services?

  1. Contact the coordinator of Student Accessibility Services to start the registration process. This recommended step is particularly helpful for those who have never applied for post-secondary disability-related accommodations, are submitting multiple applications, or have questions about the registration process.
  2. Submit the appropriate application:
    1. Application for Classroom Accommodations
    2. Application for Residence Hall Accommodations
    3. Application for Dining Accommodations
    4. Application for Assistance Animal
    5. Application for Temporary Medical Accommodations
  3. Submit verification documentation. 
    1. For residence hall or dining accommodations, please ensure that your medical provider has indicated the medical necessity of your requested residential or dining accommodation.
    2. For classroom accommodations, please have your medical provider complete the Request for Documentation.
    3. For dining accommodations, please have your medical provider complete the Dining Request for Documentation.
    4. For temporary medical accommodations, please have your medical provider complete the Request for Temporary Medical Documentation.
      • If your medical provider is unable to complete the Request for Documentation, you may provide:
        1. A diagnostic report or a letter stating the diagnosis and describing the functional limitations of the disability. Ask the professional to provide their correspondence on their letterhead and follow our Documentation Guidelines
        2. Individualized educational program
        3. 504 Plan
        4. Letter of Accommodation from another higher education institution
        5. Vocational Rehabilitation evaluation report
        6. Social Security disability qualifying letter
    5. Contact Student Accessibility Services if you have any questions regarding documentation.
  4. Complete an intake appointment. The coordinator of Student Accessibility Services will contact you to schedule your intake appointment once your application and supporting documentation have been received and reviewed. During the initial intake appointment, you can expect to:
    1. Review resources available to you
    2. Discuss how your disability affects you in the classroom, residence hall, and/or dining hall
    3. Develop an accommodation plan
    4. Review your rights and responsibilities

*Submit appeals to any decisions regarding accommodations/exemptions/reduction in meal plans to the Dining Committee.

Did You Know?

Vocational Rehabilitation is a state agency that provides services and assistance to individuals with documented disabilities. The Workforce Investment and Opportunity Act requires Vocational Rehabilitation to provide services for young people ages 14-24. Vocational Rehabilitation can provide youth services, including tuition assistance for post-secondary education, assistive technology, and job placement services. We encourage our students to investigate their state's Vocational Rehabilitation services and resources.


Have Questions?

Call the Student Accessibility office at 701-355-8124