Rights & Responsibilities
Student Accessibility Rights and Responsibilities
The choice to self-identify as a student with a disability and/or use accommodations are personal decisions. It is the responsibility of the student to take the initiative to engage with Student Accessibility Services and then remain actively involved if the student needs accommodations. To discuss the use of accommodations, students are encouraged to contact the Student Accessibility Services to discuss how their disability impacts them and how equal access can then be provided.
The rights and responsibilities of a student with a disability differ significantly between high school and college. Review the information below as you prepare to transition to college:
Students with disabilities at the University of Mary have the right to:
- Full and equal participation in the activities and services of the University of Mary.
- Reasonable accommodations.
- Information is available in accessible formats.
- Privacy and the right to have confidential information managed according to law.
- Access University of Mary’s Grievance Procedure.
Students with disabilities at the University of Mary have the responsibility to:
- Self-identify as having a disability to Student Accessibility Services when requesting accommodations. Academic accommodations are updated each semester and residence hall accommodations each year.
- Provide, at the student’s expense, appropriate documentation of disability and accommodation needs.
- Follow the university’s published procedures for requesting a specific accommodation or service. It is the student’s responsibility to meet the timelines and procedural requirements established by Student Accessibility Services for scheduling exams, requesting material in alternative formats, etc. If the student fails to provide adequate notice of the need for space and/or assistance he or she is still entitled to the accommodation, but there is no guarantee it can be provided in the fullest measure.
- Discuss the Accommodation Plan with faculty when appropriate. It is recommended the student meet with their instructors within the first two weeks of the semester.
- Meet essential standards for courses and programs, maintaining status as a student who is otherwise qualified, with or without accommodations.
- Confirm the adequacy of accommodations as soon as possible and, after discussing with the faculty member, notify Student Accessibility Services when satisfactory conditions are not present.
- Read and use their University of Mary email. Communication regarding accommodations and changes to policies and procedures is sent via email from Student Accessibility Services.
Faculty and Staff Rights
The University of Mary faculty and staff have the right to:
- Request and receive relevant documentation that supports requests for accommodations, academic adjustments, and/or auxiliary aids and services.
- Determine eligibility for accommodations based on a review of appropriate documentation.
- Determine the appropriate accommodations for each student based on the individual’s needs.
- Establish essential functions, abilities, skills, knowledge, and standards for courses, programs, services, jobs, activities, or facilities, and evaluate students on this basis.
- Determine the appropriate standards in developing, constructing, remodeling, and maintaining facilities.
- Have appropriate discussions regarding students and their disabilities in order to implement requested accommodations.
- Deny a request for accommodations, academic adjustments, auxiliary aids, and services, and/or barrier removal in facilities if the documentation does not demonstrate the request is warranted, or if the individual fails to provide appropriate documentation.
- Select among equally effective accommodations, academic adjustments, and/or auxiliary aids and services.
- Refuse unreasonable accommodations, academic adjustments, auxiliary aids and services, and/or facility-related barrier removal requests that impose a fundamental alteration on a program or activity.
Faculty and Staff Responsibilities
The University of Mary faculty and staff have the responsibility to:
- Provide or arrange reasonable accommodations, academic adjustments, and/or auxiliary aids and services for students with disabilities.
- Respond to requests in a timely fashion.
- Provide information in accessible formats to faculty, staff, students, and guests with disabilities upon request.
- Maintain appropriate confidentiality of records and communication.