Learn How Grants Can Make Your Mary Education Accessible

Grants are money awarded to students who demonstrate financial need. Unlike loans, grants do not have to be repaid, except under certain circumstances. 

To qualify for a grant, complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form.

Learn More About Federal Grants

Federal Pell Grant 

The Pell Grant is the largest federal grant program offered to undergraduates.

  • Pell Grants are available for undergraduate students with financial need.
  • Eligibility is determined by the Expected Family Contribution (EFC) calculation from the information reported on your FAFSA application.
  • The amount you receive depends on your EFC, enrollment status, and percentage of lifetime eligibility used.
  • You are limited to 12 full-time semesters of Pell Grant eligibility during your educational career.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

These grants are awarded to undergraduate students who demonstrate exceptional need.

  • Priority consideration is given to Federal Pell Grant recipients.
  • Eligibility depends on your need and other student aid offered.
  • The annual amount varies from year to year.
  • Because FSEOG funding is limited, you are encouraged to file a FAFSA application early to be considered for this grant.

Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education Grant (Teach Grant)

This grant is for undergraduate students enrolled in programs that prepare them to teach in a high-need field at the elementary or secondary school level.

  • To receive this grant, you must sign a TEACH Grant Agreement to Serve, and agree to perform four years of qualifying teaching service and meet other requirements.
  • Failure to complete the teaching service commitment will result in the grant being converted to a Direct Unsubsidized loan that must be repaid with interest.

North Dakota State Grant

This grant is available to ND residents who graduated from a North Dakota or bordering state high school or received a GED from North Dakota.

  • Apply by completing the FAFSA. Because funding is limited, you are encouraged to submit the FAFSA application early.
  • Eligibility is limited to eight semesters of full-time equivalent enrollment or the attainment of a bachelor's degree, whichever comes first.

Learn More About the North Dakota State Grant

Iran and Afghanistan Service Grant (IASG) 

This grant is available to students whose parent or guardian was a member of the U.S. Armed Forces and died as a result of service performed In Iraq or Afghanistan after September 11, 2001.

To qualify:

  • You must be ineligible for a Federal Pell Grant on the basis of your Expected Family Contribution (EFC) while meeting remaining Federal Pell Grant requirements.
  • Be under 24 years old or enrolled in college at least part-time at the time of your parent's or guardian's death.

Learn More About the Iran and Afghanistan Service Grant

Children of Fallen Heroes Scholarship 

Pell-eligible students whose parent or guardian died in the line of duty as a public safety officer are eligible to receive a maximum Pell Grant for the award year in which eligibility is made.

To qualify, you must be Pell-eligible, have a Pell-eligible EFC, and be less than 24 years of age or enrolled at an institution of higher education at the time of your parent or guardian's death.

Learn More About the Children of Fallen Heroes Scholarship Requirements and Application

Hope Grant

Having trouble with rent this month? Car trouble? Getting behind on bills? Undergraduate students who find themselves in a financial crisis that could put their academic success at risk can apply for the Hope Grant.

  • Eligible expenses that qualify as an emergency: Child care, food/meals, gas, housing/rent, medical/dental/vision expenses, personal automobile expenses, public transportation and utilities. Some emergencies/hardships may not fit into one of these categories; however, it may be an eligible emergency/hardship.
  • The Hope Grant Committee reviews each request to determine whether it is a qualified emergency/hardship. 
  • All requests for Hope Grant funds must be supported with documentation-an estimate, a utility bill, lease agreement, medical/dental/vision bill. 

University of Mary Hope Grant Student Eligibility Form

University of Mary Hope Grant Referral Form (To be completed by Faculty/Staff)

Let Us Help

The Financial Aid Office is: 

  • Open Monday–Friday 8 am - 4:30 pm
  • Available for virtual meetings via Microsoft Teams: Monday–Friday 1-4 pm

Admitted and prospective students and their families are also welcome to attend the financial aid and costs orientation during our Visit Days.

Have Questions?

We're here to help. Call the Financial Aid Office at 701-355-8142, email us, or schedule a virtual meeting.