Graduation & Commencement Overview
The University of Mary invites families and the general public to attend the annual Commencement Ceremony, which celebrates the individual achievements of our students.
Graduation is the day the degree is conferred by the Registrar. All students must fulfill all university, school, and departmental requirements before degree conferral can take place. Please note: participation in the Commencement Ceremony does not guarantee degree completion.
Commencement 2021 will be held on Saturday, April 24, 2021 at the Bismarck Event Center. The graduating classes from both 2020 and 2021 will be honored on this day.
What Time is Commencement?
In order to both accommodate for COVID-19 safety protocols and for two graduating classes to be present together, we will be holding separate Graduate & Undergraduate Commencement ceremonies, both on April 24. Times for the two ceremonies are not yet finalized, but the prospective plan is for the Undergraduate ceremony to be held in the morning, and Graduate ceremony in the afternoon. The official schedule of events with times and places will be posted on this page as soon as they are approved for publication, so please watch this space.
How Many Guests Can I Bring?
At this time, no decision has been made to limit the number of guests graduates can invite. Currently, we do not expect that guest limitations will need to be made. However, this could change depending on final student RSVP numbers. If a guest limitation needs to be put in place, the information will be posted here as well as sent to all graduates via their student email.
It is with deepest joy that we invite the Class of 2020 to participate in Commencement
2021. The pandemic made it impossible to celebrate your momentous achievement with
you and your family during 2020, and it also deprived us of the opportunity to offer
a heartfelt goodbye to our graduating students in person. A year later, we are delighted
to have this chance to welcome you back for Commencement 2021. We hope you are able
to take this opportunity to return and finally get a chance to cross that stage along
with all your classmates.
If you haven’t already responded to the email invitation you were sent, please RSVP here to let us know if you are able to attend in person, wish to participate online only, or if you are unable to attend.
All Graduating Students:
- Consult with your academic advisor for graduation eligibility.
- Upon approved eligibility, click here to submit your diploma and commencement application.
- Keep a copy of the application for your record.
- The University of Mary holds one yearly commencement at the end of the spring term. Graduating students include fall, spring, or summer applicants of current school term.
- Diploma applications must be submitted to Office of the Registrar no later than April 1 to ensure the applicants name is included for university graduation publications.
- Late applicants will be welcome to participate in the commencement ceremony, but the name cannot be added to the university graduation publications.
- The application orders the diploma and reserves a chair at commencement, if attending.
- All students must fulfill all academic requirements, and financial obligations, which includes the graduation processing fee. The fee is charged to a student’s account when registering for the applicable exit survey as undergraduate, master, or doctoral.
- Contact [email protected] for changes in participation, and with any changes to mailing addresses.
- The diploma package will be mailed after the degree has been conferred and all financial obligations have been met. Students who do not attend the ceremony will also receive the university plaque and a copy of the commencement program.
- Extra diploma copies or replacements can be purchased. Contact [email protected].
Please review the participation in commencement academic attire policy:
Students are responsible for purchasing their own academic attire. The deadline for ordering academic attire online and having it shipped is March 18, 2021.
Visit the Jostens Graduation Store for graduation caps and gowns, class rings, graduation announcements, diploma frames, and more.
Jostens will also be present at the Bismarck Event Center the day of Commencement to assist with any last-minute purchases.
Please note, the attached information has been provided by the Bismarck-Mandan Convention and Visitor's Bureau. Rates and vacancies are not guaranteed by the University of Mary and are subject to change. See hotel websites for most up-to-date pricing information prior to booking.
If you need to purchase your attire or any other graduation-related products such as invitations or frames, please note that you can book a Virtual GradFest appointment with a Jostens rep for help placing your order. The GradFest event runs February 24-26 & March 1-2 from 10:00 AM-6:00 PM CST each day. Appointment time slots are set up in 30-min window blocks. Sign up for a timeslot below.