A Database Of Library Materials
The library catalog is an electronic bibliographic database that describes the books, videotapes, periodicals, etc. carried by our library and our network of libraries. Check out the tutorial video or steps below for help in accessing our catalog!
Step by Step Guide
Please note that our library catalog works best for, and is tailored to, our on-campus students. Online students and faculty should use our Interlibrary Loan service to obtain library materials from Welder Library. Because Welder Library is a member of the Central Dakota Library Network consortium, all of our students and faculty have the ability to borrow books from many other area libraries as well. To get started, follow the directions below.
- Go to the Welder Library Catalog
- Enter your search terms in the search box (e.g. title, author, and keyword).
- To view titles available only through Welder Library, narrow your search results.
- To narrow your search results, use the limiting tools on the left side of the page. You can use the limiting tools to sort by format, publication date, and subject in the same manner.
- If you need to widen your search results, you can remove your limiters by clicking on the blue X.
- In the popup window, select “Welder Library – University of Mary.” The libraries are arranged in alphabetical order, so you may need to scroll down to find Welder Library. Then, click “Include” at the top of the window.
- Click on the title of any item that you want to learn more about. The pop-up window will display the shelf number on which the item is located in the library. Information about the item’s availability is also displayed in this pop-up window.
- If you choose to browse titles without narrowing your search to Welder Library, you may come across items that are not found in Welder Library. They can, however, be delivered to Welder Library by placing a hold. To place a hold on an item, click on “Place Hold,” in the title’s pop-up window. You may only place a hold if you have previously registered your Mcard in the library.
- To place a hold, enter your Mcard barcode number (not your student ID number) and pin number. You will find your 14-digit barcode number on the back of your Mcard. Your pin number is the 4-digit number you selected when you registered your Mcard in the library. Please call the library at 701-355-8070 if you do not remember your pin number.
- Once you have entered this information, select Welder Library as your pickup location. Click “Place Hold” to confirm.
- You will get an email confirmation when your hold has arrived at Welder Library. Click “Ok” to return to your search results.
This tutorial guides users through navigating the Welder Library’s online resources. It demonstrates use of the online catalog and provides guidance for conducting an effective search including tips for use, rules, and best practices for finding research material.
Ask a Librarian
Welder Librarians are here to provide research and reference assistance to students. Research and reference assistance for students consists of direction to library materials, advice on library collections and services, and expertise on finding multiple kinds of information from multiple sources.