Your First Week at Mary Will Be One You’ll Remember
Welcome Week is more than your first week at Mary. It’s the beginning of the next chapter in your educational journey – one that we’re as committed to making a success as you are.
Many Welcome Week events are Mary traditions, and when the week is over, we’re sure you’ll understand why.
Welcome Week Highlights
Each day includes getting to know new people — usually with food involved — along with opportunities to attend Mass, common worship, and sung vespers. You’ll have a chance to take advantage of walk-in academic advising, and you’ll learn about the student support services, clubs, and organizations. There’s also a group walk/run on the schedule.
Your parents and family can be involved as well, with success seminars and, yes, more food.
We can't wait to hear your favorite memories from Welcome Week, but in the meantime, here are some events we think you won't want to miss.
- Meet Your Peer Leader. Your peer leader will be your guide to getting started as a Mary student. They'll answer your questions, tell you what to expect from the week, and help you transition to campus life.
- President's Welcome & Wheat Ceremony. In a tradition dating back to Mary's earliest days, new students and their families are welcomed by our president, Monsignor James P. Shea, and the faculty with a beautiful ceremonial ritual known as the "Wheat Ceremony."
- New Students & Family Dinner. The University of Mary tradition continues in meal sharing. At a table together, food, friendship, and fun set the stage for a learning community. Families of new students are welcomed as part of the larger University of Mary community. (The new student + 2 family members eat free; additional tickets are available for purchase.)
- Starlight Social. Come to the best party of the year, hosted by Monsignor Shea. Relax around the fire pit while making s'mores, and dance under the stars at the President's Residence.
- Concert on the Shire, featuring Asher. Asher, an Irish folk band made up of a rotating cast of characters from across North Dakota, is known for combining traditional Irish and folk music with a fresh take on modern pop, rock, and country hits in its high-energy performances. This is a great way to end your first week as a college student.
We're Just a Phone Call or Email Away
Call the University of Mary Admissions Office at
701-355-8030 or 800-288-6279 (MARY).