Lucas Bernier, DMA
- Associate Professor of Music
- Director of Percussion Studies
At the University of Mary, I teach all areas of percussion including applied lessons, percussion methods, percussion ensemble, and steel band. Additionally, I'm fortunate to teach a number of other courses including Orchestration and Arranging, Music Technology, The Music Professional, and Improvisation.
Why I’m At Mary
I'm grateful to work at the University of Mary because of the wonderful students and colleagues in the Music Department. We're able to connect with students and develop a true sense of mentorship. It is a joy to work alongside amazing faculty every day.
My areas of specialty include percussion in wide ranging genres including contemporary, jazz, orchestral, and world music. I perform regularly as a marimba, vibes, steel pan, and drum set artist. I enjoy collaborating with other musicians in duo and chamber music settings. I regularly serve as an adjudicator and clinician throughout the region.
- Marimba Soloist with Bismarck-Mandan Symphony Orchestra (2020)
- Percussive Arts Society International Convention with the Varying Degrees Trio (2019)
- Robert Moran Ensemble at the University of Iowa (2018)
- Dan Moore Percussion Group, 10th Annual Patagonia Festival Internacional de Percusion, General Roca, Argentina (2012)
- Bismarck-Mandan Symphony Orchestra (BMSO), Principal Percussion
- BisMan Little Big Band
- Varying Degrees Percussion Trio
- Lucas Bernier Jazztet
- Lucas Bernier Caribbean Jazztet (steel drums)
- Robert Moran Ensemble
I have has presented numerous clinics and presentations on topics including drum set, mallet percussion, improvisation, and hand drumming to name a few.
- Percussive Arts Society International Convention
- North Dakota Music Educators Association Conference
- South Dakota Music Educators Association Conference
- The University of Iowa
- The University of Northern Iowa
- Northern Plains Kodaly Chapter
DMA: The University of Iowa, 2012
MA: The University of Iowa, 2009
BM: Minnesota State University Moorhead, 2007
Personal Website: lucasbernier.com