Welcome to Career Services
Entering today's highly competitive job market can be intimidating, but the University of Mary's Career Services team is here to help you prepare for life after college. We offer job fairs, career development services, personal career counseling and other events and programs that will give you the confidence you need to succeed in your job search.
Here at Mary, the Career Services team recognizes the uniqueness of each individual; each of you has a specific vocation or calling. Our job is to help you discover your future career by exploring your interests, skills and values, while providing you with tools, knowledge, resources and guidance to assist you in actualizing your professional goal.
Job Opportunities with Handshake
Handshake is the University of Mary’s online resource for students and alumni to:
- Schedule career advising appointments
- View upcoming career events and workshops
- Search and apply for on-campus Work Study and Work Campus positions
- Search and apply for jobs and internships
- Develop your profile and upload your resume for employers to view
- Research companies and hiring organizations
- Read company reviews
In addition, employers can use Handshake to register for Career Services fairs and events and post jobs and internships.
Your Handshake account has been created for you! Log in with your University of Mary credentials (same login as Canvas and your university email), using the following link: Handshake
Setting up your Profile
When you log in to Handshake for the first time, you’ll receive a series of prompts about the types of jobs in which you’re interested, your skills, coursework, extracurricular involvement, and other background experience. These five areas round out your Handshake profile. However, the cornerstone of your profile is your Education and Resume. We recommend paying close attention to these areas, and updating them regularly:
- From the “For You” page, click on your name on the left. Update the "Education" section to reflect other schools you may have attended, your graduation date for UMARY, GPA, etc. The job and internship search pulls from this information.
- Remaining portions of your profile can be completed by uploading your resume. Need help with your resume? University of Mary Career Services has a comprehensive online guide to assist.
To search for employers and apply for jobs/internships, follow the instructions below:
- Click the “Jobs” tab at the top of your page.
- Select the type of job you are searching for from the options circled in blue. University of Mary Work Study, Work Campus, and Internships can also be found on Handshake.
- Narrow down your results by using filters including location, industry, and job function.
- Under “Filters,” select “Employer Preferences” to compare details from your profile (i.e. Majors, School Year, Graduation Date, U.S. Work Authorization, and GPA) to jobs that exactly match those specifications. Be sure you have all the information completed to use this feature.
- Favorite jobs/internships as you review them and are interested in pursuing them. View your favorites from the link on the “For You” page or on the “Jobs” page.
- Save the defined search and receive email alerts whenever an employer posts a job that meets that criteria by selecting “Create Search Alert” on the right-hand side of the “Jobs” page.
- The three Handshake must-dos
- Three ways other students on Handshake can help you
- Get career tips from other students who've been there
- Four tips from recruiters on how to stand out on Handshake
Disclaimer: University of Mary Career Services Office maintains Handshake as a service to University of Mary students and alumni. Employers and opportunities found on Handshake are listed due to their potential interest to the University of Mary community. These should not be considered an endorsement by Career Services or the University of Mary. While employers and opportunities are vetted by university staff, students should always exercise caution and use good judgment when viewing postings in Handshake or other job sites to protect themselves from fraudulent opportunities and scams. If found on Handshake, report the fraudulent employer and posting to [email protected].
As a University of Mary graduate, you have access to Handshake. Alumni can log in with their Canvas/University of Mary email credentials, or if you no longer have your university credentials, click here to create and request an account.
- Visit Handshake
- Select University of Mary from the list.
- Choose a password for the account.
- After entering the password, fill in the required information (First/Last Name, Major, Grad Month, Grad Year).
- After these fields are completed, this will create the account and send an email confirmation. You must click the link in the email confirmation to confirm and use the account.
- University of Mary Career Services will approve your account to grant you access to all of Handshake's features.
For help logging in to Handshake as an alumni, please contact [email protected].
Disclaimer: University of Mary Career Services Office maintains Handshake as a service to University of Mary students and alumni. Employers and opportunities found on Handshake are listed due to their potential interest to the University of Mary community. These should not be considered an endorsement by Career Services or the University of Mary. While employers and opportunities are vetted by university staff, alumni should always exercise caution and use good judgment when viewing postings in Handshake or other job sites to protect themselves from fraudulent opportunities and scams. If found on Handshake, report the fraudulent employer and posting to [email protected].
Handshake is University of Mary’s platform for employers to post jobs and internships, recruit students, and participate in University of Mary Career Services events. This service is free to employers.
Signing up for Handshake is easy and takes less than five minutes. Go to the Handshake website.
- Click on "Sign up for an Account" below the Handshake logo.
- Complete the profile information. Under company information, if your company is already listed, please add yourself as a contact. If your company is not listed, add your company's address, website, and phone number. Select "Create New Company."
For University of Mary departments only: Please include UMary in your name (i.e., UMary Career Services). NOTE: Do not use University of Mary alone as your company name; you must have a department designation.
After you set-up your login information and completed your employer profile, our office will review your request.
- If you are approved, you'll receive an email and from that point on you can enter jobs into the system. Our office reviews jobs for content and reserve the right to approve or decline.
- If you are declined, you are welcome to connect with our office to ask about the reason why. Please reach out through Handshake or contact [email protected].
Put Handshake to work for you! From your homepage, you can:
- Post full-time and part-time jobs, as well as internship opportunities.
- Register for Career and Internship Fairs. (Fairs are held each fall and spring semester. Click on "Fairs" and type University of Mary in the "School" search to find availability at University of Mary. Register right in Handshake!)
- Check out the left navigation bar to find more information on your jobs that are active and expired, along with events and fairs
Thank you for thinking of University of Mary students for your hiring needs!
Career Services Events