Welcoming new students to campus
The Peer Leader program is made up of student leaders who volunteer their time to assist in welcoming new students and their families to the University of Mary. Peer Leaders help new students make the transition to the academic, intellectual, and social culture of campus and seek to create an atmosphere that minimizes anxiety, promotes positive attitudes, and generates excitement in all new Mary students!
Peer Leaders are expected to possess a specific body of knowledge about the university, acquired through training and experience.
The Peer Leader program specifically looks for student leaders who:
- Have pride in being a Mary student and want to share that pride with new students
- Can relate effectively to various cultures, backgrounds, lifestyles, personalities, etc.
- Are involved in the campus community
- Desire to be a leader and role model on campus and in the community
- Have high standards of ethical behavior and professionalism
- Have a positive attitude
- Work well under pressure
- Have creativity, flexibility and a sense of humor
- Understand the importance of a liberal arts education
- Have a willingness to assist first year students in their adjustment to academic life
Any undergraduate student, sophomore year or higher, is encouraged to participate. Applications are taken every spring semester, and training is held every fall.