Financial Aid: Student Grants

How to Apply for Grants

Complete an annual FAFSA application at

Federal Pell Grant

  • Available for undergraduate students with financial need.
  • Eligibility is determined by the Expected Family Contribution (EFC) calculation from the information reported on a student's FAFSA application.
  • The amount depends on a student's EFC, enrollment status, and percentage of lifetime eligibility used.
  • Students are limited to 12 full-time semesters (600%) of Pell grant eligibility during their lifetime.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

  • These grants are awarded to undergraduate students who demonstrate exceptional need.
  • Priority consideration given to Federal Pell Grant recipients.
  • Eligibility depends on need and other student aid offered.
  • Annual amount varies from year-to-year.
  • FSEOG funding is limited. Students are encouraged to file a FAFSA application early to be considered for this grant.


  • Grant opportunity available to students whose parent or guardian was a member of the U.S. Armed Forces and died as a result of service performed In Iraq or Afghanistan after September 11, 2001.
  • To qualify, a student must be ineligible for a Federal Pell Grant on the basis of your Expected Family Contribution determined by the results of you’re annual FAFSA application while meeting remaining Federal Pell Grant requirements.
  • Be under 24 years old or enrolled in college at least part-time at the time of your parent's or guardian's death.

Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education Grant (TEACH Grant)

  • For undergraduate who are enrolled in programs designed to prepare them to teach In a high-need field at the elementary or secondary school level.
  • As a condition for receiving this grant, a student must sign a TEACH Grant Agreement to Serve in which the student agrees to perform four years of qualifying teaching service and meet other requirements.
  • Failure to complete the teaching service commitment will result in the grant being converted to a Direct Unsubsidized loan that must be repaid with Interest. 

RESOURCE: Federal Student Grant Programs. This resource List federal student grant programs with program details and award limits.

Children of Fallen Heroes Scholarship

  • Beginning with the 2018-2019 award year, a Pell-eligible student whose parent or guardian died in the line of duty while performing as a public safety officer is eligible to receive a maximum Pell Grant for the award year in which eligibility Is made.
  • To qualify, a student must be Pell-eligible, have a Pell-eligible EFC, and be less than 24 years of age or enrolled at an Institution of higher education at the time of his or her parent's or guardian's death.
  • All federal financial aid awarded to eligible students Is based on a 0 EFC without regard to the student's FAFSA calculated EFC.
  • For the purposes of the Children of Fallen Heroes Scholarship, a public safety officer Is:
    • Defined In section 1204 of title I of the Omnibus Crime Control and Safe Streets Act of 1968 (42 U.S.C.3796b); or
    • A fire police officer, defined as a Individual who Is serving In accordance with Sate or local law as an officially recognized or designated member of a legally organized public safety agency and provides scene security or directs traffic In response to any fire drill, or other fire, rescue, or policy emergency, or at a planned special event.
  • Students who believe they are eligible for this opportunity are encouraged to complete a Children of Fallen Heroes Application and submit applicable supporting documentation.

North DAkota STate Grant

  • The North Dakota State Grant Is available to ND residents who graduated from a North Dakota high or bordering state high school or received a GED from North Dakota.
  • Application Is made through completion of an annual FAFSA application. Funding under the state grant Is limited, so early FAFSA application Is recommended.
  • Eligibility Is limited to 8 semesters of full-time equivalent enrollment or the attainment of a bachelor's degree, whichever comes first.