Degree type(s): Bachelor's
Degree field(s): Mathematics; Education
Location(s): Bismarck, ND
Program offerings by location and modality are subject to change.
Mathematics Education Bachelor's Degree Program
Four-year degree; Bachelor of Arts (BA) or Bachelor of Science (BS)
The Mathematics Education program prepares prospective teachers for the challenges of teaching students from a broad range of cultural backgrounds in diverse educational settings.
The Mathematics Education bachelor’s degree program at the University of Mary prepares students for careers in math education for grades 7-12. The Mathematics Education program is offered as a four-year Bachelor of Science degree at the University of Mary’s main campus in Bismarck, North Dakota.
Math Education majors take a wide range of mathematics and education courses, providing a strong background in the field.
Mathematics Degree Program Highlights
Mathematics Education graduates will:
- Exhibit analytical, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills
- Be able to interpret and analyze data using quantitative reasoning skills
- Be able to use technology to aid in the solving of problems and analysis of data
- Be able to communicate mathematics to others in written and oral formats
- Be able to communicate in the formal language of proof-based mathematics
- Understand how the history and development of mathematics affects learning today
- Be able to explain the mathematical concepts that underlie Algebra, Geometry, Trigonometry, Statistics, and Calculus, and be able to illustrate these concepts through appropriate applications
- Be competitive in securing employment teaching middle school or high school mathematics or gaining admittance to programs of advanced study
The support from faculty for the Mathematics Education program is unmatched. I was not just a person to them, I was a success story waiting to be written. I was cared for and given unbelievable experiences, which helped me personally and professionally. This program set me up for success, and all of the faculty and staff were cheering for me along the way."
Career Outlook for Mathematics Education Majors
The median annual wage for high school teachers was $61,660 in May 2019. Many schools report difficulty filling teaching positions for certain subjects, including math and science.
Even as one of the most affordable private universities in the nation, the University of Mary does offer a variety of scholarships. In fact, 99% of main campus undergraduate students receive some form of scholarship!
We strongly encourage you to contact your personal admissions representative to discover all of the options that might be available to you. In many cases, a program specific scholarship is just one component of a complete financial aid package.
Our admissions professionals will work together with our Office of Financial Assistance to ensure that you get the best financial aid package possible to finance your education.
Acceptance at the University of Mary does not automatically qualify you to pursue a program in one of the academic programs of study. Application requirements are specific to each major or academic program.
We recommend consulting your advisor for details. Applications are reviewed by the faculty members of the program. You will be notified that you have been admitted, admitted provisionally, or denied admission to the program.