Theology Bachelor's Degree Program
Four year degree; Bachelor of Arts (BA)
Program Advisor: Dr. Leroy Huizenga
The Theology Bachelor of Arts program at the University of Mary involves the disciplined study of Christian claims about God as found in the Churchís Scripture and Tradition, their effects in history and culture, and their relevance for faith and life today. This bachelorís degree program develops deep theological literacy in students and provides them with the fundamental knowledge and skills necessary for further study and for service to the Church and world.
Because theology is a comprehensive program that cultivates broad knowledge and rhetorical skills, a bachelorís degree in theology provides excellent preparation for every profession, for service in the Church, for citizenship, and for life. A theology major prepares one for careers in parish and diocesan ministries such as religious education, liturgy, youth work, and schools, as well as businesses, government, social services, and volunteer programs. Your bachelorís degree in theology also prepares you for further academic and professional study.
Theology Bachelor’s Degree Program Highlights
Rooted in the University of Mary’s Christian, Catholic, and Benedictine mission and identity, the Theology Bachelor of Arts program at the University of Mary is grounded in the religious and intellectual traditions of the Roman Catholic Church and Benedictine monasticism. Therefore, in accord with our mission and identity:
- We study theology in faithful adherence to the Church’s Magisterium.
- We study theology in a prayerful spirit of joy, ever seeking to cultivate the theological virtues of faith, hope, and love.
- We study and practice theology in grateful accord with the Benedictine principles of community, hospitality, moderation, prayer, respect for persons, and service.
- We study and practice theology with profound ecumenical respect for Judaism, Protestantism, Evangelicalism, Orthodoxy, and other religious traditions.
As a theology major, you will engage in deep study of Scripture and Tradition, reading classic works in theology from the ages as well as Greco-Roman and Jewish literature and works in intellectual and cultural history important for understanding the Christian tradition.
Course Requirements for Your Bachelor’s Degree in Theology
Requirements for the theology major include:
- 40 credit hours in theology, at least 24 of them upper-division
- THE 429, Seminar in Theology
- 12 credit hours in philosophy, at least eight of them upper-division
Recommendations include two years of a foreign language and eight hours above the 100-level in communications, English, or education. A minor in philosophy is recommended for students considering a pre-seminary formation program.
View theology course details
If you are considering pursuing a bachelor’s degree in theology, you might also be interested in the following undergraduate programs offered at our main campus in Bismarck, North Dakota: