Program Advisors: Dr. Tom Porter
The University of Mary Music Department creates a learning community that integrates a challenging curriculum with practical and professional training.
Graduates of this department:
Students choose from a Bachelor of Arts with an Emphasis in Sacred Music, a Bachelor of Arts in Music, a Bachelor of Science in Music Education, a Bachelor of Music in Performance, and a minor in music. Incoming students are assessed for placement in music theory, ear training, and functional piano skills.
- Perform instrumentally and/or vocally with artistic competence
- Conduct musical groups with attention to artistic concerns
- Know the field of music study; can use its technical vocabulary and common approaches; can describe current issues and significant artistic works
- Assess their own performance for purposes of continued development
- Work effectively with others and demonstrate respect for them
- Can describe the values of this Benedictine institution and reflect on them in their work
- Contribute to their civic, cultural, and professional communities
The University of Mary Department of Music is accredited as an Associate Member of the National Association of Schools of Music.
Major in Music with an Emphasis in Sacred Music - Bachelor of Arts
MUS 121, 122, 123, 124, 151, 152, 196, 221, 222, 223, 224, 251, 252, 262, 321, 323, 341, 342, 362, 370, 470; two semesters of applied music: organ; three semesters of applied music: voice (or class voice); four semesters of applied music: Piano (or class piano); two to four additional semesters to total six semesters of applied music; organ or voice or piano; three semesters of concert choir; three semesters of any major performance ensemble; piano proficiency-level four; six semesters of perform lab; THE 104 or 110 or 112; three of the following: THE 221, THE 323, THE 332, THE 337; one additional THE elective; ALU 499; 30 volunteer hours in a parish setting.
Minor in Music:
MUS 121, 122, 123, 124, 151, 152, 196, 262, 341 or 342, 382 or 383 or 384 or one pedagogy course; four semesters of perform lab; four semesters of applied music in primary performance area; four semesters of major performance ensemble in primary performance area; piano proficiency-level two.