Program Advisors: Kathrine Henjum
The University of Mary Music Department creates a learning community that integrates a challenging curriculum with practical and professional training.
Graduates of this department:
- Perform instrumentally and/or vocally with artistic competence
- Conduct musical groups with attention to artistic concerns
- Know the field of music study; can use its technical vocabulary and common approaches; can describe current issues and significant artistic works
- Assess their own performance for purposes of continued development
- Work effectively with others and demonstrate respect for them
- Can describe the values of this Benedictine institution and reflect on them in their work
- Contribute to their civic, cultural, and professional communities
Students choose from a Bachelor of Science in music education, a Bachelor of Arts in music performance, a Bachelor of Arts in sacred music, and a minor in music. Students transferring from another institution may be required to take music theory, ear training, and functional piano placement exams.
The University of Mary Department of Music is accredited as an Associate Member of the National Association of Schools of Music.
Major in Music Performance - Bachelor of Music
MUS 121, 122, 123, 124, 151, 152, 196, 221, 222, 223, 224, 251, 252, 262, 341, 342, 371, 471; eight semesters of major performance ensemble (primary area); four semesters of small performance ensemble: piano proficiency-level four; eight semesters of perform lab; eight semesters of applied music (primary area, one-hour lessons); vocal pedagogy and literature or instrumental pedagogy and literature, or diction and two semesters foreign language (voice majors) and 14-16 semester hours music electives (no more than eight semester hours may be in ensembles and/or applied music); ALU 499.
Minor in Music:
MUS 121, 122, 123, 124, 151, 152, 196, 262, 341 or 342, 382 or 383 or 384 or one pedagogy course; four semesters of perform lab; four semesters of applied music in primary performance area; four semesters of major performance ensemble in primary performance area; piano proficiency-level two.