Program Advisors: Dr. Tom Porter
The University of Mary Music Department creates a learning community that integrates a challenging curriculum with practical and professional training.
Graduates of this department:
- Perform instrumentally and/or vocally with artistic competence
- Conduct musical groups with attention to artistic concerns
- Know the field of music study; can use its technical vocabulary and common approaches; can describe current issues and significant artistic works
- Assess their own performance for purposes of continued development
- Work effectively with others and demonstrate respect for them
- Can describe the values of this Benedictine institution and reflect on them in their work
- Contribute to their civic, cultural, and professional communities
Students choose from a Bachelor of Science in music education, a Bachelor of Arts in music performance, a Bachelor of Arts in sacred music, and a minor in music. Students transferring from another institution may be required to take music theory, ear training, and functional piano placement exams.
The University of Many Department of Music is accredited as an Associate Member of the National Association of Schools of Music.
Major in Music Education - Bachelor of Science:
ENG 121; COM 110; MAT 103 or above; one lab science; MUS 121, 122, 123, 124, 132, 151, 152, 153, 154, 196, 221, 222, 223, 224, 231, 232, 251, 252, 253, 254, 262, 321, 323, 331, 333 or 334, 341, 342, 362, 382, 383, 384, 431, 471; seven semesters of applied music (primary); four semesters of applied music (secondary); piano proficiency-level four; seven semesters of major performance ensemble (primary); three semesters of major performance ensemble (secondary); one semester of chamber ensemble (primary); seven semesters of perform lab; EDU 200 or 202, 295, 301, 320, 367, 411, 422, 423, 434; PSY 205 (For Middle School Endorsement, PSY 332 is required.); ALU 499.
Minor in Music:
MUS 121, 122, 123, 124, 196, 262, 341 or 342, 382 or 383 or 384 or one pedagogy course; four semesters of performance lab; four semesters of applied music; four semesters of major performance ensemble; piano proficiency-level two.