Program Advisors: Dr. Tom Porter
The Music Department strives to develop a true community of learners where a challenging curriculum is integrated with professional training so that graduates are prepared to excel in their chosen specializations.
Graduates of this department:
Students choose from a Bachelor of Arts in Music, a Bachelor of Science in music education, a Bachelor of Music in Performance, a Bachelor of Arts in Music with an Emphasis in Sacred Music, and a minor in music. Incoming students are assessed for placemnt in music theory, ear training, and functional piano skills.
- Perform instrumentally and/or vocally with artistic competence
- Conduct musical groups with attention to artistic concerns
- Know the field of music study; can use its technical vocabulary and common approaches; can describe current issues and significant artistic works
- Assess their own performance for purposes of continued development
- Work effectively with others and demonstrate respect for them
- Can describe the values of this Benedictine institution and reflect on them in their work
- Contribute to their civic, cultural, and professional communities
The University of Mary Department of Music is accredited as an Associate Member of the National Association of Schools of Music.
Major in Music - Bachelor of Arts:
MUS 121, 122, 123, 124, 151, 152, 196, 221, 222, 223, 224, 262, 341, 342, 440 or 471 or 481; six semesters of major performance ensemble (primary area); piano proficiency-level two; six semesters of perform lab; six semesters of applied music (primary area); and 16 semester hours of a foreign language or a minor in Philosophy/Theology; ALU 499.
B.A. in Music Advisor: Dr. Anthony Williams
Minor in Music:
MUS 121, 122, 123, 124, 151, 152, 196, 262, 341 or 342, 382 or 383 or 384 or one pedagogy course; four semesters of perform lab; four semesters of applied music in primary performance area; four semesters of major performance ensemble in primary performance area; piano proficiency-level two.