Challenges and stress are part of the student experience. There are times when every student needs support. At those times, most students turn to family and friends, but sometimes professional support in a confidential setting may also be very useful.
There are many reasons why students choose to use our services:
- Questions about educational and career goals
- Conflicts with roommates
- Family concerns
- Dating and relationship issues
- Time-management and life-balance issues
- Anxiety and stress
- Alcohol and substance use by self, friends/roommates or family
- Depressed mood
- Difficulty with self-esteem
- Grief and loss
- Eating disorders
- Sexual assault
- Sexual questions and issues
- Support for students diagnosed with mental health concerns and those taking medication
To assist students we offer the following types of services:
- Private and confidential counseling sessions for individuals and couples
- Consultation for parents, faculty, and staff
- Educational information on a variety of topics and issues
- Educational presentations to classes and groups
- Referral to community services
- Crisis intervention
- Screenings for depression, eating disorders, anxiety disorders, and substance abuse.
Counseling Services has a consulting relationship with St. Alexius Medical Center's Archway Mental Health Services. This relationship enables us to work closely with the psychologists and psychiatrists at St. Alexius in cases where students need referral services, testing, monitoring for medication or emergency mental health services.
We also work closely with on-campus services and resources including Campus Ministry, Student Life, the University of Mary Student Health Clinic, faculty and staff.