The Advising Center works one-on-one with students to solve any issue. We try our hardest to solve your issue in our office and right when you come in, but in the case where that cannot happen, we will always find the answer or take you to someone who can help. We also offer a great space to do homework or just relax and hang out.
It is always nice to be able to stop at one place and have all of your questions answered and that is what the Advising Center does! We are truly a "one-stop shop" for any question that may arise. Check out the list of things below that we can help with:
- Time Management: Knowing how to manage all the hours in a day can be difficult for anyone, especially a college student. In the Advising Center, we can help you map out your day, week, month or even your semester. We can teach you how to use your planner and how to organize your day to get the most out of every minute.
- Study Tips: Studying is not easy and the same study habits do not always work for every class. We can offer study tips that you may not have thought of and show you how to apply them to specific courses.
- Goal Setting: Setting goals is the first step to being successful. Through conversation and research we can help you figure out what your goals are. We can talk about both long and short term goals and we can even map out the steps you will need to take to meet those goals.
- Other Support issues: We all have those days when nothing goes right and that's ok. We understand that failing a test or forgetting to turn in a paper can be stressful and that you may just need someone to talk to and the Advising Center is here for that. We can also make referrals to counseling services if bigger issues arise.
- Academic Issues: Academic issues can range from trouble with classes, scheduling questions, degree plans, changing majors and many other topics. Academic issues are a broad topic because no two students have the same academic issues. We work one-on-one with each student that comes into our office on any academic issue they may be having.
- Tutoring: University of Mary's Tutoring Services are a part of the Student Support Program. We work very closely with the Tutor Coordinator so if you need a tutor STOP IN and will gladly walk you to her office and introduce you.
- Problems registering, Add/Drop Course: Something not working when you try to register online? Do you have questions about the different course numbers? Are you not sure how to register online at all? All of that is ok and we can help explain those questions and more when registration time rolls around. The Advising Center can help with anything related to adding or dropping a course. We work closely with you the student and with the registrar's office to make sure your make informed decisions when it comes to adding or dropping a class.
- New Student Orientation: The Advising Center plans, organizes and works with other areas on campus to make sure the start of your college career is a good one. Orientation is not only informational but will also help you adjust to college life and meet tons of new people. Any materials given out during Orientation can be found on my.umary.edu.
Contact for Advising Center - Katie Mehrer 701-335-8975