NEW FALL 2013, THE SHRM LEARNING SYSTEM COURSE WILL BE AVAILABLE IN BOTH BISMARCK AND FARGO, WITH POTENTIAL SITES IN GRAND FORKS, WILLISTON AND/OR DICKINSON. FOR INFORMATION ON POTENTIAL SITES, PLEASE CONTACT LINDSIE SCHOENACK, AT LINDSIES@UMARY.EDU OR (701) 232-7088. REGISTRATION OPENING SOON.
The SHRM Learning System Course is a professional development program designed for two audiences:
The program uses the SHRM Learning System which is updated with current HR policies and legislation. As a professional development tool, the Learning System can increase a participant's knowledge of the field of human resources and provide current reference of HR practices. As a certification preparation tool, the Learning System has a measurable track record of success for those qualified to sit for the exam.
- Participants seeking continuing professional development and a broad overview of the field, and
- Participants preparing to take the Professional in Human Resources (PHR) or Senior Professional in Human Resources (SPHR) certification examinations administered by the HR Certification Institute.
This course is offered in partnership with the Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM). The course investment includes all course materials but does not cover registration for the PHR or SPHR examinations.
By enrolling in this course, you'll benefit from:
What you will learn
- Experienced instructors present the SHRM Learning System materials in an easy-to-understand format.
- Training close to home.
- A structured learning environment to keep you on schedule.
- Opportunity to build your peer network.
- Course fees often qualify for tuition reimbursement.
- 3.5 continuing education units (CEUs) for successful completion of the course.
The SHRM Learning System includes six modules covering the entire HR Certification Institute body of knowledge so you'll learn everything you need for the PHR or SPHR exam. Modules were updated to reflect the new HR practice and legislation in the HR Certification Institute's body of knowledge.
The most up-to-date learning modules
1. Business Management and Strategy
2. Workforce Planning and Employment
- Strategic role of HR in organizations
- HR business management skills
- Strategic planning process
- Evaluating the internal/external environment
- HR and the legislative and regulatory environment
3. Human Resource Development
- Employee rights, privacy and consumer protection legislation
- Organizational staffing requirements
- Job analysis and documentation
- Recruitment, flexible staffing, selection and retention
4. Compensation and Benefits
- Organizational development initiatives
- Adult learning and motivation
- Training and development
- Talent and performance management
5. Employee and Labor Relations
- Compensation structure and systems
- Benefit programs (Government mandated, deferred comp plans, health care and other non-statutory benefits)
- Compensation and benefits legislation
- Evaluating compensation and benefits programs
6. Risk Management
- Employee and labor relations legislation
- Union organizing and collective bargaining
- Unfair labor practices
- Discipline and complaint resolution
- Organizational riskv
- Workplace safety, health, security and privacy
- Risk management legislation
Whatever your learning style, you'll find ways to test your knowledge and build confidence. Use the interactive case study, featuring real-life scenarios and questions, to apply your knowledge. And, check out the Online Learning Center for a wealth of supplemental study materials:
- Quickstarts - guided overviews for each module highlight key topics
- Assessment - identifies topics a participant already knows and those areas that require more time and attention
- Tests - more than 1,000 questions for continually testing knowledge and comprehension
- Post-test - weighted and balanced to mimic the scored PHR/SPHR exam; presented in the style and format used by the HR Certification Institute
- Online Resource Center - includes downloadable audio and web casts, flashcards (printed, online or audio), HR updates, related links, feedback feature and more.
The next class is scheduled for September 24 - November 26, 2013 on Tuesday evenings from 6:00 p.m. - 9:30 p.m.
Registration opening soon