POSITION TITLE: Director of Student Recreation and Wellness
DEPARTMENT: Student Life
DIVISION: Student Development
Summary of Position: The Director provides dynamic leadership for the development and management of a high-quality and comprehensive student recreation and wellness program designed to function as a co-curricular component of the University of Mary’s Education for the Whole of Life student experience. The purpose of the program is to encourage students, at all levels of fitness and ability, to learn be good stewards of their own health through wellness. The individual appointed to the position will have the opportunity to join the university at an exciting time of growth and will be a part of the implementation of the university’s strategic goals that include development of a summer recreation and wellness program as part of the university’s Year-Round Campus initiative and the construction of a new wellness center located within a new field house.
Position Relationship: Reports to the director of student life. This position provides daily supervision for a team of 10-20 part-time (8-10 hours/week) student employees.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
* Demonstrates a willingness to support and advance the Christian, Catholic and Benedictine mission of the University of Mary.
* Plan, coordinate and execute a comprehensive schedule of programs and activities to include individual fitness evaluations, individual and group recreational and fitness activities designed for students at various levels of fitness and ability, and individual and group educational programs.
* Develop and successfully implement the university’s first summer/outdoor student recreation and wellness program as part of the university’s Year-Round Campus initiative.
* Provide for effective program administration: establish annual program goals; develop and implement an effective assessment plan to evaluate program effectiveness; prepare monthly activity reports, annual budget and annual report by required deadlines.
* Serve as an effective steward of resources by providing effective management of the budget, maintaining an up-to-date inventory of equipment and by providing effective oversight for equipment check-out and equipment storage and security.
* Collaborate with various academic programs (e.g. Physical Education, Exercise Science, Athletic Training, Sports and Leisure Management) to create practicum experiences for students.
* Work with the physical plant department to provide for effective supervision and management of university recreation and wellness facilities.
* Maintain up-to-date policies, rules handbooks and forms needed for the program.
* Recruit, train and supervise student employees to serve on the Student Rec Crew.
* Attend meetings with supervisors as scheduled and take appropriate direction to implement goals, policies and procedures as requested.
* Maintain office hours as scheduled by supervisors.
* Serve on university committees and task forces as assigned.
Desired Minimum Qualifications, Education and Experience: Bachelor’s degree in physical education, exercise science, sports management or another field closely related to the position responsibilities and 2-3 years of experience teaching physical education or providing instruction in a comprehensive fitness program is required. A Master’s degree in one of the listed fields may be substituted for 1 year of experience. Preference will be given to individuals who have experience in a student recreation/fitness program at the college level.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required: The successful candidate must be able to demonstrate an understanding of the student development and formation process of university students. S/He will be able to present a vision for how the Student Recreation and Wellness Program will be a part of this process as it applies to University of Mary students. The appointee will be able to demonstrate the ability to support and enforce the university’s policies and procedures while also serving as an effective mentor, supervisor and role model of the university’s Benedictine values. S/He will be able to demonstrate the ability to work effectively with students, faculty, staff and administrators as part of a complex and diverse organization. S/He will be able to demonstrate the ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing and to prepare professional reports and communications using Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Publisher. S/He will also be able to demonstrate the ability to effectively use technology (computers, projectors, and other electronic devices) and social media to make presentations and promote activities and programs. S/He will possess excellent interpersonal, public speaking and organizational skills.
Physical Demands: Hearing and speaking to exchange information and make presentations. Ability to lift up to 20 pounds. Set up and take down various equipment needed for recreation and sport activities.
Work Environment: This is a full-time, 12-month benefit-eligible administrative staff appointment. The appointee is a member of the Corporate Faculty. The position responsibilities require the appointee to work a substantial number of evening and weekend hours in accordance with a semester by semester schedule of recreation and wellness programs and activities designed to meet the needs of the student body. Facilities used for programming include an on-campus fitness center, a climbing wall, swimming pool, racquetball court, running/walking track, the Leach Field House, on-campus athletic fields as well as community facilities as budget allows. The appointee’s office is located in the Leach Field House and includes a service desk with a station for student employees, an equipment storage area and an office for the coordinator.
This position description is a general description of the essential job functions. It is not intended to describe all duties someone in this position may perform. All employees of the University of Mary are expected to perform the duties as assigned by management, regardless of job title or routine job duties.
Qualified candidates are invited to submit their letter of application, resume and 3 professional references to: Pam Treib Human Resource Generalist, 7500 University Drive, Bismarck, ND 58504; [email protected]