POSITION TITLE: Maintenance - HVAC Technician
DEPARTMENT: Physical Plant
DIVISION: Physical Plant
Summary of Position:
Performs all relevant installation and maintenance activities to HVAC equipment and systems to ensure the safe, efficient, and economical operation of all areas of the facility. Responsible for troubleshooting, repair, replacement, and controls work for HVAC equipment and systems across the University.
Reports to Mechanical Systems Supervisor and Director of Physical Plant.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Demonstrate a willingness to support and advance the Christian, Catholic and Benedictine mission of the University of Mary.
2. Maintain the University’s HVAC systems, Propane Plant and Waste Water Treatment, including the troubleshooting, corrective and preventive maintenance on related equipment.
3. Maintain the University’s HVAC Software to program and control HVAC equipment.
4. Will trouble shoot and make repairs as need on equipment.
5. Effectively communicate time and resource estimates, specifications, recommendations, alternate solutions, and issues to managers and system administrators for new projects as well as problem resolution.
6. Ability to make accurate labor and material cost estimates and effectively communicate time, resource estimates and specifications for new, renovated or repairs as needed.
7. Inspect mechanical space and building support system regularly, making reports, and creating work orders for maintenance or repair.
8. Keeps mechanical equipment and systems in compliance with applicable local codes and standards.
9. Complete work orders for campus community (students, staff, and faculty) and accurately describe labor and cost resources as well as a description of the resolution.
10. Adjust daily maintenance schedule to meet the plant's needs.
11. Support Energy Management strategy implementation with engineering and technical support.
12. Identify improvements and drive use of information systems that increase efficiency and effectiveness of the Physical Plant team.
13. Such alternatives to the above qualifications as the University may find appropriate and acceptable.
14. Performs other duties as assigned.
Desired Minimum Qualifications, Education and Experience:
1. High school diploma or GED.
2. Minimum 10 years HVAC Technician Experience.
3. Detailed Energy Management programming experience highly desired.
4. Master Mechanical or Master Electrician License preferred.
5. Refrigeration experience desired.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
Must have the ability to:
1. To take and give clear concise and written and verbal messages.
2. Have excellent human relation skills.
3. Have skill in the use of telephone, radio and computer skills.
4. Present a professional image for the Physical Plant department.
Must have knowledge of:
1. HVAC troubleshooting and repair.
2. Safety equipment, examples include AED, Fire Extinguishers, etc.
3. The use of radios, telephones and computer communication.
4. Proper cleaning, safety, and sanitizing methods.
5. Proper safety measures needed for the work environment.
In an 8-hour period the number of consecutive hours normally spent dong the following activities:
Number of Hours
6-8 4-5 1-3 <1
Repetitive movements X
Working Outdoors X
Working Indoors X
Temperatures extremes X
Workings at heights X
1. Moderate or greater noise levels associated with working in Mechanical Areas.
2. Extremes in temperature with room temperature the norm.
3. Possible hazards exist with the use of cleaning equipment, chemicals, body fluid clean up, and moving of equipment and furniture.
4. May at times be required to work at heights.
5. May at times work in confined spaces.
This position description is a general description of the essential job functions. It is not intended to describe all duties someone in this position may perform. All employees of the University of Mary are expected to perform tasks as assigned by management, regardless of job title or routine job duties
Qualified candidates are invited to submit their letter of application, resume and 3 professional references to: Pam Treib, Human Resource Generalist: University of Mary 7500 University Drive, Bismarck, ND 58504; [email protected]