POSITION TITLE: Coordinator of Student Accessibility Services
DEPARTMENT: Student Success Center
DIVISION: Academic Affairs
Summary of Position:
Facilitate the provision of reasonable accommodations for university students with a wide range of disabilities to ensure equal access to programs, services, and activities. Assist faculty and staff in developing fair and effective instructional methods and adaptations to provide classroom, dining, and housing access for this student population.
The Director of the Student Success Center supervises this position.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
* Demonstrate a willingness to support and advance the Christian, Catholic and Benedictine mission of the University of Mary.
* Provide broad leadership and strategic planning for the Student Accessibility Services program.
* Provide support to students with disabilities including individual meetings with students, review and evaluation of disability documentation, and determination and implementation of appropriate accommodations and support services.
* Consult with faculty, staff, and prospective and enrolled students regarding the needs of individuals with disabilities; promote equitable learning opportunities for students with disabilities.
* Develop and update policies and procedures that support the Americans with Disabilities Act, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act, the Fair Housing Act, and disability-related theory and trends.
* Coordinate exam accommodations for students with disabilities.
* Facilitate the acquisition of assistive technology to help students access materials in alternative forms and work with individual students on their effective use.
* Maintain records and prepare reports regarding services for students with disabilities.
* Prepare and deliver workshops on disability-related issues to faculty, staff, and students.
* Collaborate with various offices and departments.
* Collaborate with community resources including the North Dakota Disabilities Services Council, local high schools and colleges, and community agencies.
* Provide service to the University that include meeting attendance, committee involvement, and support of University sponsored events.
* Participate in occasional program activities that may require night/weekend hours.
* Other duties as assigned.
Desired Minimum Qualifications, Education and Experience:
* Masterís degree required in related field.
* 2 years of experience in postsecondary disability services.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
* Knowledge of support services and accommodations for students with disabilities at a postsecondary level, including assistive technology.
* Knowledge of the principles and practices of medical, psychological, and technical evaluations of disabilities.
* Knowledge of federal, state, and local laws regarding accommodations and access for students with disabilities.
* Strong leadership skills.
* Excellent written and oral communication skills.
* Confidence with group presentations and public speaking.
* Ability to establish and maintain positive relationships throughout the community.
* Capacity to manage confidential and sensitive student information.
* Capable of working independently and with a team of colleagues, exercising appropriate judgment, initiative, and creativity.
* Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills to implement and manage creative solutions.
* Exceptional organizational and time management skills.
* Ability to assess and adapt to the needs of individual students, including diverse populations.
* Flexible and able to adapt to change.
* Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office Suite applications.
* Strong computer background in learning and applying new applications.
* Sedentary work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, including the human body.
* The staff member is required to have close visual acuity to perform an activity such as: preparing and analyzing data and figures; converting text to an accessible format; and viewing a computer screen.
* The staff member is not substantially exposed to adverse environmental conditions.
This is a FTE 12-month benefited appointment. The office is located in the Welder Library. Normal working hours are 8:00 a.m-4:30 pm Monday through Friday. Evening and weekend work may be required to meet the needs of students. Daily attendance at work is required unless the supervisor authorizes a leave.
This position description is a general description of the essential job functions. It is not intended to describe all duties someone in this position may perform. All employees of the University of Mary are expected to perform tasks as assigned by management, regardless of job title or routine job duties.
Qualified candidates are invited to submit their letter of application, resume and 3 professional references to: Pam Treib, Human Resource Generalist: University of Mary 7500 University Drive, Bismarck, ND 58504; [email protected]