POSITION TITLE: ASSISTANT VICE PRESIDENT FOR HUMAN RESOURCES
DEPARTMENT: HUMAN RESOURCES
DIVISION: EXECUTIVE VICE PRESIDENT
Summary of Position: The Assistant Vice President for Human Resources reports to the Executive Vice President. They are responsible for establishing a framework for an effective function to serve those within the University and are responsible for the supervision and development of the people employed by it. The purpose of the position is to support the University of Maryís hiring for mission, provide guidance to ensure compliance with local, state and federal employment and labor laws, maximize employee relations, and establish systems to implement the Universityís policies and procedures.
* Willingness to support and advance the Christian, Catholic, Benedictine mission of the University of Mary.
* Promote the ongoing implementation and articulation of the principles of Ex Corde Ecclesiae, the apostolic constitution on Catholic colleges and universities, and Education within the Benedictine Wisdom Tradition, the statement of the Association of Benedictine Colleges and Universities.
* Help to build a culture of ready and earnest hospitality throughout the university, in accord with Saint Benedictís admonition that all be received as Christ.
* Lead by example and articulate the strategic vision for advancing mission integration; effectively appealing to higher ideals and values as a cause for continuous improvement.
* Interpret mission, philosophy and values of the university to internal and external audiences.
* Respect and encourages diversity and equity at all levels throughout the university.
* Research, train and implement system changes that improve processes, promote the best interests of employees, students, and increase operational efficiency.
* Ensure that new members of the university community are provided a welcoming experience and understand and support the mission of the university and the Benedictine legacy.
* Embody the qualities of integrity, competence, compassion and fidelity essential to an institution committed to its Catholic identity.
* Demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of and support for the mission of the university and the Benedictine legacy and charism of its founders and sponsors, the Benedictine Sisters of Annunciation Monastery.
* Possess a reputation as a respected and respectful leader who is an advocate for the joy and beauty of higher learning.
* Have a strong commitment to the mission of Catholic higher education and the personal presence to provide leadership on behalf of the University of Mary.
* Embody the qualities of a servant leader, following the model set by Jesus.
* Demonstrated commitment to leadership and service.
* Exhibit exceptional communication and interpersonal skills.
* Demonstrated ability for strong team-building, delegation, and collaboration.
* Leadership and ability to effectively work with University management, faculty and staff.
* Ability to ensure offices and departments are running efficiently and human resource projects are completed diligently and on time.
* Ability to make timely decisions in a firm, fair, and consistent manner.
* Commitment to excellence in educational programs, administrative support, and services to students, faculty, and staff.
* Commitment to cultivating a learning environment that evaluates and incorporates merging technologies and methodologies.
* Willingness to pursue strategic, operational, and financial effectiveness through collaboration.
* Ability to foster and strengthen relationships with businesses, foundations, politicians, alumni, donors and supporters of the university.
* Be skilled in conflict resolution.
1. Oversee Employment Relations:
* Serve as an advisor to the Presidents Council representing the Human Resources/Payroll and Campus Safety and Security Departments.
* Conduct exit interviews with terminated staff employees.
* Oversee in the hiring of all positions and ensure understanding of mission.
* Work with supervisors to develop accurate job descriptions
- Develop and implement recruitment plans
- Serve on search committees as requested
* Assist in employee conflict resolution and investigate employee relations issues
-Write and assist with Corrective Action Plans
* Ensure that policies and procedures are in compliance with local, state and federal regulations and reflects the mission of the University; revise and/or draft policies as necessary.
* Update the employee handbook to reflect changes in policies and procedures.
* Design materials to supplement the Employee Handbook and effectively communicate highlighted policies and procedures for employees.
* Collaborate with the Executive Vice President on overall employee compensation, market analysis and the annual campus wide salary increase process.
* Conduct employee satisfaction surveys and provide attrition data.
* Utilize a performance appraisal system to assist employer/supervisor communication
* Develop various training programs designed to select, motivate and retain qualified staff employees.
2. Serve as Benefits Administrator:
* Work closely with benefits consultant and Director of Payroll to identify and recommend benefit solutions.
* Develop and maintain relationships with representatives of all benefits providers.
* Serve as liaison between employees and providers as necessary.
* Develop and maintain detailed knowledge of all benefit package components; keep employees informed of changes as necessary.
* Update all HR related communication and marketing materials. Collaborate with IT department to keep information updated and accessible on employee web portal.
* Maintain high level of competence regarding PPACA and continually advise the Presidentsí Council of potential implications to the university and ensure compliance.
* 403b Plan Administrator
- Responsible for 403b plan audits
- Collaborate with the Payroll Manager with preparing all materials needed for plan audit
- Assist in preparing all plan amendments as needed
- Serve on 403b Retirement Plan Investment Advisory Committee
3. Oversee Payroll:
* Supervise and mentor employees
* Work with Payroll Manager on all payroll transactions including salaried, contract, hourly, overtime, benefits deductions and special deductions.
* Responsible for all accounts payable transactions related to the payment of benefits (health insurance, dental insurance, life insurance, etc.) and other deductions.
* Oversee the electronic transmission of any employee deductions and employer contributions to the 403B Retirement Plan.
* Responsible for all necessary reports on a regular and as requested basis.
5. Serve as Disabilities Coordinator for faculty and staff
* Ensure ADA compliance
* Assist supervisors in providing accommodations and approve accommodation requests.
6. Serve as the Title IX Coordinator:
* Ensure University Compliance
* Implement and oversee required training and tracking of completion
* Attend continuing education and maintain certification.
* Respond to all inquiries, allegations and follow policy as it pertains to incidents reported.
8. Oversee Campus Safety and Security Department
* Supervise and mentor employees
* Manage budget from monies collected from parking fees
* Assist in the development of the department, utilizing the task force recommendations and university best practices and policy to implement and enforce.
* Collaborate with the Director of Campus Safety and Security as it relates to making recommendations to Presidents council and providing guidance related to Title IX and VAWA.
* Responsible for the Cleary Act Report for all campus locations
Minimum Education and Experience:
* Bachelorís degree required; Masterís Degree preferred from an accredited institution.
* A minimum of 10 years progressive HR experience, preferable in a university.
* At least 5 years of administrative experience in a key position with decision-making responsibility, preferably in a postsecondary educational environment.
* Ten years of full-time leadership experience in education, ministry, business, industry, or government.
This position description is a general description of the essential job functions. It is not intended to describe all duties someone in this position may perform.
Qualified candidates are invited to submit their letter of application, resume and 3 professional references to: Pam Treib, Human Resource Generalist, 7500 University Drive, Bismarck, ND 58504; [email protected]