POSITION TITLE: Controller
DIVISION: Office of Financial Affairs
Summary of Position: Responsible for accounting and financial reporting functions of the University of Mary. This includes preparation of financial reports and maintenance of adequate accounting and internal control systems to ensure compliance with university policies and generally accepted accounting principles of the United States.
Position Relationship: Reports to the Vice President for Financial Affairs.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Demonstrate a willingness to support and advance the Christian, Catholic, Benedictine mission of the University of Mary.
• Represent the Office of Financial Affairs (FA) with integrity and a high level of professionalism.
• Maintain absolute confidentiality and discretion in all matters related to the Office of Financial Affairs and associated areas of responsibility.
• Supervise all accounting activities including preparation of financial reports, processing of transactions, and reconciliation of accounts.
• Ensure financial statements are prepared in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles in the United States.
• Prepare or supervise the preparation of financial analysis to support capital investments decision making and effective operation of the university.
• Design, implement and maintain a system of internal controls, including policies and procedures, to enhance reliability of financial statements and safeguard university assets.
• Comply with local, state, and federal government filing and reporting requirements.
• Coordinate external audits, gather and prepare necessary reports and other materials for auditors.
• Oversee compilation, formulation, and monitoring of budgets
• Assist in preparation of presentations for board of trustees and presidentís council.
• Monitor compliance with debt covenants.
• Other duties as assigned at the discretion of the Vice President for Financial Affairs.
Desired Minimum Qualifications, Education and Experience:
• Requires a bachelorís degree in accounting with 7+ years of experience in an accounting field with leadership responsibilities.
• Preference will be given to candidates who are Certified Public Accountants
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
• Maintain sensitive and confidential information. Use a high degree of tact, discretion and diplomacy in dealing with sensitive situations and individuals.
• Able to work independently and with a team of colleagues.
• Must be able to evaluate alternatives and make appropriate recommendations.
• Highly organized, able to set priorities, and exercise sound judgment within areas of responsibility.
• Understand, interpret, explain and apply rules and policies applicable to areas of responsibility.
• Able to communicate clearly and effectively orally and in writing. Able to prepare clear, accurate and concise correspondence, records, reports and other documents.
• Experienced user of Microsoft Office Suite applications, especially Excel
• Experience with Jenzabar software a plus.
Work Environment: This is a full-time, 12 month, salaried position with benefits. The office is located in the Benedictine Center. Normal working hours are from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. Periodic evening and weekend work is required to meet departmental deadlines and the needs of the university. Daily attendance at work is required unless the supervisor has approved an absence.
This position description is a general description of the essential job functions. It is not intended to describe all duties someone in this position may perform. All employees of the University of Mary are expected to perform tasks as assigned by management.
Qualified candidates are invited to submit their letter of application, resume and 3 professional references to: Pam Treib, Human Resource Generalist: University of Mary 7500 University Drive, Bismarck, ND 58504; [email protected]