POSITION TITLE: STUDENT SUCCESS ADVISOR
DEPARTMENT: ENROLLMENT SERVICES
DIVISION: GRADUATE AND DISTANCE RETENTION
Summary of Position: Advises graduate and distance students, assisting them toward achievement of their educational goals by serving as a liaison to several departments, and by helping to overcome the inherent challenges of graduate and distance education.
Position Relationship: The Director of Graduate and Distance Retention supervises the employee on a daily basis.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Must be able to support and advance the Christian, Catholic, Benedictine mission of the University of Mary.
• Acts as an advocate and an interdepartmental liaison for student.
• Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with the campus community, the general public, and other agencies.
• Establishes and provides a broad system of service delivery that is flexible and responsive to the needs of the student.
• Informs students about their rights and responsibilities.
• Analyze requirements of the students, and presents program concerns to the appropriate departments.
• Provides group and individual orientations, while providing pertinent program information.
• Assists with registration process, add/drop forms and other documents as needed.
• Commitment to on-going knowledge base acquisition of the university. Stays current with University programs and degree requirements.
• Attend and actively participate in advising staff meetings, training programs, and planning retreats.
• Ensures each advisee receives personal, verbal and written communication, which may include extensive telephone and email contact. Records a summary of all pertinent telephone and email contact with the Radius/Jenzabar systems.
• Provides input regarding the development of department goals and strategic plan.
• Ensure quality service to military, veteran and international students through comprehensive understanding of benefits and requirements.
• Other duties as assigned at the discretion of the supervisor.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities Required:
• Ability to work independently and with a team of colleagues.
• Ability to limited travels and maintains a valid driverís license.
• Must achieve individual goals while contributing to the efforts of the team.
• Safeguards the confidentiality of student information and departmental administration by exercising discretion in communicating information to faculty, staff, parents, alumni and current and prospective students, and in handling departmental records and files and similar confidential materials.
• Must demonstrate the highest professional demeanor and ethics while representing the University. Proven ability to communicate and listen effectively.
• Long periods of sitting at a desk or while driving.
• Ability to lift 20 lbs.
• Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment.
The Director of Graduate and Distance Retention will review advisor loads and assign staff appropriately to meet departmental needs and goals. The office is located in the Butler Center in Fargo, ND. This is a full time, 12 month position with benefits. Normal working hours are 8:00 a.m-4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. Evening and weekend work may be required to meet the needs of students. Daily attendance at work is required unless the supervisor authorizes a leave.
Desired Minimum Qualifications, Education and Experience:
Bachelorís Degree in Business/Sales or related field. Must have advanced interpersonal skills necessary to work effectively and interact with current students, staff and faculty.
In addition to the general and specific objectives mentioned above, a Student Success Advisor is always a good-will ambassador of the University. This individualís effort is aimed at increasing the appeal of the University to those with whom he/she has contact. A commitment to customer service is an absolute necessity. Individual must maintain positive disposition in midst of stressful and/or demanding situations.
This position description is a general description of the essential job functions. It is not intended to describe all duties someone in this position may perform. All employees of the University of Mary are expected to perform tasks as assigned by management, regardless of job title or routine job duties.
Qualified candidates are invited to submit their letter of application, resume and 3 professional references to: Pam Treib Human Resource Generalist, 7500 University Drive, Bismarck, ND 58504; email@example.com