Position: Maintenance - Electrician and Appliances
Reports to: Director of Facilities or Designee
Pay Classification: Exempt Status
Job Description: Performs installation and maintenance of electrical systems and equipment to insure the safe, efficient, and economical operation of all areas of the facility. Responsible for installation and maintenance of University appliances. Maintain university in a safe, clean, and well maintained condition.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUCTIONS:
1. Demonstrates a willingness to support and advance the Christian, Catholic, Benedictine mission of the University of Mary.
2. Responsible for purchasing, inventory, installation, troubleshooting, maintenance, and repairs of University appliances.
3. Review maintenance reports to determine where repairs are needed and schedule work details from reports.
4. As needed direct, train and assign work to designated staff and review their work.
5. Manage multiple projects concurrently and represent the University interest on maintenance and construction projects.
6. Make recommendations for modification of University policies and procedures based on prevailing cods, feasibility, maintenance requirements, saving incentives and cost-effectiveness.
7. Maintain existing electro-mechanical systems; troubleshoot electrical and mechanical systems in order to eliminate potential hazards.
8. Install and/or replace electro-mechanical systems and equipment as needed.
9. Test, maintain and repair all types of low voltage systems including fire and fire prevention systems and clocks.
10. If needed review and interpret plans and contact terms to administrative staff and help represent the University’s interest.
11. Conduct regular building inspections and ensure the upkeep and maintenance of all areas of the facilities.
12. As needed help obtain all necessary permits and licenses.
13. Operate power and hand tools associated with building maintenance.
14. Perform first level diagnosis and repair of all on-campus elevators.
15. Carry the on-call beeper on a regular rotation basis.
16. Perform work safely, utilizing proper PPE, and in accordance with all written procedures.
17. Perform other duties as assigned.
MARGINAL JOB FUNCTIONS
1. Helps campus guests by providing proper information
2. Helps and directs others in assigned work and setting up for events.
3. Help with installing or replacement of HVAC and other equipment.
4. May operates equipment to remove snow, cut grass, deliver item as needed.
5. Performs related duties as assigned by supervisor or designed.
1. Moderate or greater noise levels associated with working in Mechanical Areas.
2. Extremes in temperature with room temperature the norm.
3. Possible hazards exist with the use of cleaning equipment, chemicals, body fluid clean up, and moving of equipment and furniture.
4. May at times be required to work at heights.
5. May at times work in confined spaces.
Must have the ability to:
1. To take and give clear concise and written and verbal messages.
2. Have excellent human relation skills.
3. Have skill in the use of telephone, radio and computer skills.
4. Present a professional image to the public.
Must have knowledge of:
1. Appliance troubleshooting and repair.
2. Safety equipment, examples include AED, Fire Extinguishers, etc.
3. The use of radios, telephones and computer communication.
4. Proper cleaning, safety, and sanitizing methods.
5. Proper safety measures needed for the work environment.
5. Building activities scheduled and proper setups.
1. Must be cooperative, able to work effectively with faculty, students, public and administration, as well as others that use or support the University.
2. Be willing to participate in employer programs.
1. High School Diploma, GED or equivalent is preferred.
2. Journeyman electrician license.
1. Demonstrated knowledge of electrical and appliance maintenance methods required.
2. Experience in HVAC controls and maintenance desirable.
3. Experience in HVAC controls programming desireable.
4. Previous experience in customer service desirable.
1. Valid driver license required.
2. Minimum of journeyman Electrician license required - Master Electrician license desired.
Job Classification: Maintenance - Hourly
In an 8-hour period the number of consecutive hours normally spent dong the following activities:
Number of Hours
6-8 4-5 1-3 <1
Repetitive movements X
Working Outdoors X
Working Indoors X
Temperatures extremes X
Workings at heights X
Numbers of Hours
15 + 10 - 15 1 - 10 < 10
Lifting or Carrying
Less than 10 Lbs. X
10 - 20 Lbs. X
20 - 50 Lbs. X
50 - 100 Lbs. X
Over 100 Lbs. X
Vision Adequate with aid to read instructions and labels.
Hearing Adequate to understand oral requests and warnings.
University’ Safety Equipment
• Asbestos training for employees
• Blood born pathogen training
• Emergency preparedness plan
• Emergency evacuation plans
• Exit numbering
• Fire Alarm Inspections
• Fire Alarm Drills (record keeping)
• Fire Alarm Stations (numbered and identified)
• Fire Extinguisher Checks and records
• Fume hood inspections
• Hazardous Communication training for employees
• Life Safety - Checks and maintenance of AED
• Lighting - Outside and Security
• Lighting - Safety/Emergency
• Lockout Tag out training
• Scrub and other trimming for safety purposes
This position description is a general description of the essential job functions. It is not intended to describe all duties someone in this position may perform. All employees of the University of Mary are expected to perform tasks as assigned by management.
Qualified candidates are invited to submit their letter of application, resume and 3 professional references to: Pam Treib, Human Resource Generalist: University of Mary 7500 University Drive, Bismarck, ND 58504; [email protected]