Summary of Position: Responsible for coordinating the student advising program and new student services. Supports and promotes the retention and recruitment goals set forth in the Strengthening the Institution Grant (Title III). This position is currently funded through the 2013-14 academic year. When grant funding ends, the University is committed to continue support for the position for so long as funding is available.
Position Relationship: For the remainder of the Title III Grant, the appointee will be jointly supervised on a daily basis by the Director of the Title III grant and the Director of the Student Success Center. When the grant ends, the appointee will be supervised by the Director of the Student Success Center. The appointee provides supervision for two advisors.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
* Demonstrates a willingness to support the Christian, Catholic and Benedictine mission of the University of Mary.
* Instructs sections of the new student seminar course as assigned serving as the academic advisor for the students enrolled in the classes taught.
* Develops advising relationships with students and provide accessibility to student advisees by appointment, through drop-in hours and by reaching out after hours and through campus activities.
* Develops personalized student success plans for at risk students and provide follow-up support to help students successfully implement his/her plan.
* Assists the Director of the Student Success Center with planning and development of the Centerís student advising program and working closely with representatives from the Office of Academic Affairs, Athletics, Student Support Services (Title IV), Admissions, provide for effective coordination for successful implementation, assessment and evaluation of the program to ensure quality student advising services.
* Chairs the University of Mary New Student Orientation Committee providing leadership for effective collaboration with key departments for a high quality new student orientation program and providing for effective planning, implementation, assessment and evaluation of the program.
* Assists with new student recruitment programs by being available to meet with students during campus visits and by assisting with programs for prospective students sponsored by the Admissions Office.
* Maintains current records of activities and services provided and perform other administrative duties as assigned to provide documentation needed for the grant and annual reports.
* Attends meetings with supervisors as scheduled and take appropriate direction to implement goals, policies and procedures as requested.
* Serves on university committees and task forces as assigned.
Essential Knowledge and Skills:
* The ability to effectively articulate the University of Mary mission especially as it applies to the position responsibilities, department and division.
* Demonstrated knowledge of best practices in student retention, student advisement, first-year experience programs, and new student orientation programs at the university level.
* Ability to effectively coordinate student service programs in a higher education environment including the ability to lead effective meetings, work with supervisors, develop strategic plans, and effectively evaluate program effectiveness. Ability to work effectively with a diverse population including individuals from different cultures, socio-economic backgrounds, and ability levels.
* Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing including the ability to prepare professional reports and communications using Microsoft Office Suite applications and the ability to use computers, projectors, and other similar electronic tools for presentations.
* Ability to prioritize work load, perform work duties independently, and meet deadlines.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
Masterís degree in student affairs, student personnel, higher education administration, education, counseling or another closely aligned field. Candidates with progressively responsible experience working with at-risk students in a higher education environment in the areas of counseling, advising, first-year experience, retention and/or enrollment would be preferred. Experience with program coordination, including budgetary, supervisory and program evaluation is also preferred.
Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer terminal; hearing and speaking to exchange information and make presentations; the ability to transverse the campus, stamina to work long hours and the ability to sit for extended periods of time.
The office is located on the lower level of the Benedictine Center. Daily attendance at work is required unless the supervisor authorizes a leave. To provide effective student services, evening and weekend hours are required. This is a full-time, 12 month and benefitted administrative staff appointment.
This position description is a general description of the essential job functions. It is not intended to describe all duties someone in this position may perform. All employees of the University of Mary are expected to perform the duties as assigned by management, regardless of job title or routine job duties.
Qualified candidates are to submit a letter of application, resume to: Mary Brandt, Director of Human Resources and Risk Management, University of Mary, 7500 University Drive, Bismarck, ND 58504; firstname.lastname@example.org. 701-355-8377.