Graduation & Commencement Overview
The University of Mary invites families and the general public to attend commencement ceremony, which celebrates the individual achievements of our students.
Graduation is the day the degree is conferred by the Registrar. All students must fulfill all university, school, and departmental requirements before graduation can take place. Please note: the Commencement Ceremony does not guarantee degree completion.
All Graduating Students:
- Consult with your academic advisor for graduation eligibility.
- Upon approved eligibility, click here to submit your diploma and commencement application.
- Keep a copy of the application for your record.
- The University of Mary holds one yearly commencement at the end of the spring term. Graduating students include fall, spring, or summer applicants of current school term.
- Diploma applications must be submitted to Office of the Registrar no later than April 1 to ensure the applicants name is included for university graduation publications.
- Late applicants will be welcome to participate in the commencement ceremony, but the name cannot be added to the university graduation publications.
- The application orders the diploma and reserves a chair at commencement, if attending.
- All students must fulfill all academic requirements, and financial obligations, which includes the graduation processing fee. The fee is charged to a student’s account when registering for the applicable exit survey as undergraduate, master, or doctoral.
- Contact [email protected] for changes in participation, and with any changes to mailing addresses.
- The diploma package will be mailed after the degree has been conferred and all financial obligations have been met. Students who do not attend the ceremony will also receive the university plaque and a copy of the commencement program.
- Extra diploma copies or replacements can be purchased. Contact [email protected].
- Graduation attire:
- This attire is strictly academic; please refrain adding additional adornment
- Graduation attire purchase is student’s responsibility
- Undergraduate gowns, caps and tassels are all black
- Master gowns, caps and tassels are all black; must have appropriate master hood
- Doctoral gowns and caps are all black. Tassel is gold; must have appropriate doctoral hood.
- Click the Attire Order Form on this page or you may contact Willsie University Cap and Gown; [email protected]; (605) 933-0278.
Baccalaureate has been observed for centuries as a way to recognize graduating students
in a spiritual celebration. The University of Mary invites all students, their families
and friends, faculty and staff to attend.
Event: Baccalaureate Mass
Who: Everyone is welcome
When: Saturday, April 30, 2016; 9AM
Where: Our Lady of the Annunciation Chapel, Benedictine Center, Main Campus
Attire: Business casual
Seating: First come, first served
Tickets: Not required
Commencement is a joyously spiritual celebration with family and friends to recognize
Event: Commencement Ceremony
Who: Undergraduate, Master, and Doctoral Degree Recipients and Guests
When: Saturday, April 30, 2016
Where: Bismarck Event Center, 315 5th Street South (just north of Kirkwood Mall)
Attire: Business casual with comfortable shoes
Time: 2:00 pm CST (approximately 2.5 hours in length)
- Student line-up: 12 pm - 1:45 pm
- Doors open at 11:30 am
Seating: First come, first served
Tickets: Not required
Student Seating: The University of Mary strongly encourages all graduates to remain at their seats throughout the ceremony out of respect for fellow graduates and guests.
Physical assistance: If special accommodations are needed for the student, please e-mail [email protected].
Name cards: Provided by the Graduation Coordinator; All graduating students must have one. Name cards will be located in the Linden Room at the Bismarck Event Center the day of the ceremony.
Honors (undergraduate only): Students who participate in the ceremony and who will have earned a GPA of 3.50 and higher by the end of seventh semester will wear an honor cord. Any changes in GPA after final grades have been posted will be reflected on the diploma and transcript. The honor cords will be available in the Linden Room of the Bismarck Event Center the day of the ceremony along with the name card.
Parking: Ample parking is available near the Bismarck Event Center:
Concession stands: The Bismarck Event Center concession stands will be open throughout the day.
Professional photographs: Photographs will be taken by Lifetouch, 1114 Main Ave, Fargo, ND 58103; 701-293-6356. The photographer will contact students by the address provided on diploma application and/or by their university webmail address. Please visit events.lifetouch.com.
Diploma frames: A variety of specially designed frames with a matte and university seal are available
for purchase through the University of Mary Bookstore, 7500 University Drive, Bismarck, ND 58504; phone (701) 355-8559.
Lodging: Hotel information is available by visiting the Bismarck-Mandan Convention and Visitors Bureau Accommodation Directory at www.discoverbismarckmandan.com or by calling (800) 767-3555.
2016 Graduation Schedule of Events
Friday, April 29
|3pm||Emerging Leaders Academy (ELA) Reception||Arno Gustin Hall|
|3pm||Hooding Ceremony for MS in Kinesiology, Sports & Physical Education Administration, Clinical Exercise Physiology||Bismarck Events Center, Exhibit Hall|
|3pm||Graduation Ceremony for Respiratory Therapy||Butler Hall, Gary Tharaldson School of Business|
|4pm||Hooding Ceremony for Occupational Therapy||Bismarck Events Center, Exhibit Hall|
|5pm||Nursing Pinning||Our Lady of the Annunciation Chapel, Benedictine Center for Servant Leadership|
|5:30pm||Liffrig Family School of Education and Behavioral Sciences Student Awards Banquet (social 5:30; dinner 6pm)||Ramada Inn, Bismarck|
|6pm||Honorary Doctorate Social||Chick's Place, Leach Center for Student Life|
Saturday, April 30
|9am||Baccalaureate Mass||Our Lady of the Annunciation Chapel, Benedictine Center for Servant Leadership|
|10:30am||President's Recognition Brunch||University Dining Center, University Hall|
|11:30am||Hooding Ceremony - Physical Therapy||Chick's Place, Leach Center for Student Life|
|11:30am||Hooding Ceremony - Graduate Nursing||Butler Hall, Gary Tharaldson School of Business|
|10:30am||Hooding Ceremony - Graduate Counseling & Education||Hauer Theater, Benedictine Center for Servant Leadership|
|11:45am||Hooding Ceremony - Graduate Business (registration opens at 10:30am)||Bismarck Events Center, Exhibit Hall|
|11:30am||EDU/COU Dept. Reception||HSLC Great Room|
|2pm||Commencement (doors open at 11:30am)||Bismarck Events Center, Main Arena|