Create a vision of your future - your career; being a leader and making a difference in the lives of others. Leadership is an aspiration and a choice. You can read about leadership or hear others speak about it, but until you experience leadership, you are not truly a leader. Become a leadership apprentice in your field. Get out of the classroom and practice leadership skills starting your freshman year in the Emerging Leaders Academy.
Here are just a few of the opportunities you will have as an Emerging Leader:
- Professional Skills Workshops: Learn from experts in a variety of fields and challenge your professional and leadership development.
- Professional Development Symposium: Help design and execute a professional conference for you and the professional community. Learn about the leadership issues facing your future profession from nationally recognized experts and engage with practitioners in your field.
- Personal and Professional Development Planning: Discover who you are as a leader, your strengths and weaknesses and develop a personal action plan for growth with the help of your Emerging Leaders Academy facilitator.
- Development of Exemplary Leadership Practices: With experiences and projects based on the five practices of exemplary leadership (Kouzes and Posner) you can fine tune your leadership skills. Receive 360 degree feedback on your competency in modeling the way, inspiring a shared vision, challenging the process, enabling others to act and giving feedback. As a graduate of the Emerging Leaders Academy, you will develop an action plan to continue your growth as leader long after your graduation.
- Professional Web Based Portfolio: As a member of the Emerging Leaders Academy you will compile an online leadership competency portfolio. Differentiate yourself from the rest by having proof of your competency in the leadership skills deemed most important for your profession.