2015 U Mary Honor Band Information
Greetings from the Department of Music at the University of Mary! This page highlights some of the important information related to auditions, etc.
The dates for our 3rd U Mary Honor Band will be Friday & Saturday, October 23-24. The performance will again take place in the historic Belle Mehus Auditorium in downtown Bismarck on Saturday afternoon, October 24, at 3:00 p.m.
Numerous details are still being worked out and finalized. We are planning on welcoming internationally renown steel pan artist Liam Teague to the stage for the FRI evening Jazz & Steel Band concert (Belle Mehus, 7:30 p.m.), and he will likely perform a number with either the Honor Band or our UM Concert Band on the Saturday, Oct. 24 3:00 Honor Band concert. We also look forward to introducing our brand new woodwinds teacher, Dr. Daniel Loudenback, at the Saturday concert.
Important Points to Know:
- Live auditions (where our faculty visit your school) will mostly be during the weeks of Sept. 21, with overflow dates during the week of Sept. 28. DIRECTORS: Please email ([email protected]) or text me at your earliest convenience which mornings/afternoons would work for auditions at your school.
- Please feel free to scan & post the enclosed information on your school’s website, for easy access for your students (kudos to so many of you who already have done this!).
- I will send this out via email as well, but many schools have email filters in place, so be sure you can receive large .pdf files in your inbox.
- The student audition/application fee is the same this year - $10 per auditioning student (payable individually or in a lump sum by the director), due at the audition, unless other arrangements are made, and are payable to “U Mary MSO”.
- In addition to live auditions, we will accept CDs, DVDs, Youtube uploads, or other electronic files that are mailed or emailed to us by WED., Sept. 23. Local students can visit the University of Mary for a live audition if a workable day/time can be found prior to Sept. 23.
- A full schedule of events will follow later in September, (likely via email), but our plan is for students to arrive on campus Friday, Oct. 23 around 11:00 a.m., with the first rehearsal starting at noon. The 3:00 Saturday performance at the Belle should allow students ample time to travel back home following the conclusion of the concert.
We’re once again excited to be able to offer this experience to your outstanding N.D. high school musicians, and are appreciative of all the support we have received from so many of you in encouraging us to actively pursue this opportunity. I have included copies of the audition material for each instrument (euph. treble clef – use trpt/horn). Please make copies and give them to potential woodwind, brass, percussion, or string bass students ASAP. I have also included a copy of the U Mary Honor Band Student Application. Honor Band T-Shirts will also be available for $10 (checks: “U Mary MSO”). Students may mail in their check ahead of time to reserve a t-shirt.
We look forward to involving some of your talented wind and percussion students in the U Mary Honor Band this October 23-24!
Director of Bands & High Brass
University of Mary
(701) 355-8068 (Office)
(701) 471-5714 (Cell)
(701) 255-0232 (Home)